Thursday, March 26, 2009

Thursday Nights

I have decided that I love, and often times crave, Thursday nights! I sometimes have meetings but always I have the assurance that the next day is Friday and I can sleep in and do things on my agenda (Friday is my day off). Of course, often times, like tomorrow, I have a sermon to write and a trip to the nursing home I really need to make - but it just being Friday, totally relaxes me. I have learned that sleep is a necessity and I need more of it.
I heard/received/? an interesting comment today. A friend was leaving my office and he said, "Thanks, Kim." And I said something down the lines of "Oh, no problem, have a good day." And my friend stopped. Looked me in the eyes and said, "No. Really. I mean that. Thanks for everything you do. I need you to know that I am thankful." Now we all have moments of receiving thanks but there is something about sincere thanks (something different than the standard polite comment we make as we walk out of a room or leave a store). I guess I don't really know why - it just made me think: Do the people we appreciate, really know we appreciate them? Truly and sincerly, do they know we mean it? Now, I of course, will go into a sermon here about how actions speak louder than words.. but really, even our words - do we get too customary, too standard. Or do we really take the time to express our appreciation and ensure the person understands it? Hmm.. food for thought?

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Interesting thoughts. Ya know, sometimes when someone hold the door open for me I really notice it and really appreciate it and I ALWAYS say "Thank You" but I wonder if the other person really knows how much a do appreciate it. I know it's just a little gesture but it means a lot to me