Thursday, March 5, 2009

Before the Famine

Tomorrow at 8am begins our 30 Hour Famine - a yearly tradition in my ministry - of participating with our youth in World Visions fight aganust hunger. This is the first year I won't be planning/leading it all myself. For the past three years we have invited a gropu from another church (in Superior, WI) to join us and this year we agreed their congregation needs to experience it all on Sunday morning, so we are going there and their youth leader and pastor are in charge. I will be leading the late night worship, but other than that, I get to be a participant and I am super excited. This is always a huge faith-developing event for our youth. I love to watch and they realize the extreme poverty that exists in their world and how they can make a difference.
I am somewhat nervous about my endurance this year though - I am on a huge new fitness program and I just worry that 30 hours without nutrition will set me back or be difficult to handle because my metabolism is so set in its healthy ways now. But then I realize, its a silly worry for me - I can start eating again Sunday night - yet millions of people don't have that assurance, they have no idea when their next meal will be or what nutritious value it will have. Puts my mind into perspective as I get my things together and pray for our youth to be opened and inspired.

No comments: