Thursday, January 1, 2009

Taking out 08

Last night was New Years Eve and as is tradition I went to the home of our close familyr friends, the Nordlings, and spent most of the time playing wii with Paul and reading a book a friend loaned me. I didn't feel good.. my dairy intolerance has been acting up and as I try to get it back under control, I welcomed the restful evening.
As I was driving back to parents house, it was actually the last 15 minutes of 2008, I listened to Oh Holy Night on the radio and I prayed. Mostly my prayer was a reflected of the year past and an acknowledgement of the growth I made as person of faith. It was also a hope or contemplation into the year 2009 - I prayed about my willing ability to get control of my reactions, to not over-react, to not jump to fear or anxiety, but rather to try and be more calm and peaceful about situations, allowing myself an opportunity to take things in before making a decision or reacting. Then of course, I moved on to praying for others - but only got as far as my brother (sorry everyone else!). I pray my brother finds peace and calm in his life, and that as all the daily challenges confront him, he will confront them with the good-natured loving soul he is.
It all got me thinking about how reactive we as humans tend to be - and I know I personally need to stop and think - let moments and expereinces and challenges be what they are - and simply live and be at peace with myself in order to best take them for what they are.
This could be a great New Year... actually, I look forward to all it offers.

No comments: