Friday, January 16, 2009

Crabby turned Insightful

Well, about noon today I wanted nothing more than to crawl back into bed and start the day all over again. All morning it was just headache after headache - and it's my day off! It all went really sour when I called my mom to vent and 5 minutes into the conversation I remembered its her Birthday! Yeah, I deserve the daughter-of-the-year award don't I? Funny too, my brother had already called her and its usually me who has to remind him.
Anyway, my trusted colleague let me know that a church member was disappointed in my lack of response to her father-in-laws illness - odd thing is, I didn't know about her father-in-laws illness! Apparently, the woman made a comment that the pastor needs to be more mature! Usually, I beat myself up when I feel I failed something/someone - And this being a bad day, I was headed in that direction - but instead I got on the treadmill and had a really good talk with God and with myself. And what conclusion I came to is: even though I want to call and apologize, I need to wait for this person to come to me. And when she does, I need to admit I was unaware of the situation (so she knows I'm not God, or psychic) and then I need to get on it. But what I also need to do is develop a system for gathering information on members and ensuring people don't fall through the cracks.
I have to say, I think I would be pretty immature if I didn't come to these realizations. So, yes, I am feeling better - but a slam is a slam and that's that! My colleague pointed out that we can't ever please everyone, that not everyone will like us, and that's true, I can deal with that - as unpleasant as it may be. I also realize this is the first negative comment and comes from someone who has never made an attempt to be involved or get to know me - yes, this person in my opinion is still worthy of my care and attention, but it puts into perspective for me that often the ones who complain don't really have a justifiable reason to do so. But it made me think about this question: If God were the pastor, would people find complaints about that too? Sadly, I think the answer is yes.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I love your last line! One of my co-workers always says, "If we told them Jesus was coming to give a talk they'd tell us they're too busy to come." Hang in there!