Saturday, January 3, 2009

Movies and Snow Angels

So I often get teased because I barely ever see movies and therefore I never know what people are talking about when they discuss movies. Well, even though I was feeling ill, I went to see Bedtime Stories on New Years night. It was cute and great and I recommend it for an enjoyable watch.
But then today we had a girls outing (My mom, niece Mikayla, neighbor Jessie, and I) and we went to see Marley and Me. Now this is seriously a great movie - yes, I cried but I have come to believe that the movies that make me cry are by far the most inspirational to my life. The movie really confirmed something I have known since I was a young child, maybe 9 or 10 years old: Pets are as much a part of the family, and as important as any other loved one. I remember a dog, Blackie, we had when I was young and how when he died it was like something was lost in our home, and it was literally, but for me it was also a spiritual sense of loss - like having to learn to live life without a loved one. My cat, Pumpkin, often causes me to think in this manner... people sometimes ask if I am lonely having no family of my own.. but they don't understand that my cat is actually very much a part of my family. No, she doesn't fill my yearning for a husband and children, but she does fill the space of companion and confidant. Pumpkin is always there for me and no matter what I do, she loves me - there is no treat of divorce there!!
After the movie and dinner, when the beautiful snow was falling in the dark sky, my niece, Mikayla, and I bundled up to go play in the snow, stick our tounges out to catch it, chase the dog when he stole our mitten or hat, giggle, and make snow angels - snow angels are so mystic, I don't know how else to describe them, but when you really stop to look at them - they are beautiful - and to think we made them.. that all we had to do was lay down in the snow, laugh and smile and waves our arms and legs... and it produces a piece of art depicting a perfect angel. Perhaps that gives a bit of advice to the busy, hurried, sophisticated human race? Perhaps we need to realize what product could come of our slowing down and taking time to enjoy the small things in life?

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I saw Marley and Me with my sister-in-law over the holiday week too! Both of us having labs made it very special for us. My spiritual director once send to me that pets are reflections of God's relationship with us, always there for us, always happy to see us, always wanting out love. I think about that a lot when I look at my Izzy!