Wednesday, January 21, 2009

President of the United States, Barack Obama

I wanted to write this yesterday, but got home at 9pm and was too tired to think!

I, like millions of others, was glued to the tv or computer monitor yesterday as America made history. As our first black president was sworn into office and the theme of the day centered around America coming together and having hope for the future, I was overwhelmed.

It is a powerful thing to truly be proud of our country and our willingness to try something new and to start shattering the lines of race, gender, class and everything else this new solidarity will shine light on.I was most moved yesterday during the inauguration parade, when not just once, but twice, Barack and Michelle got out of the car and started to walk the parade route, waving to a very loudly cheering crowd. What a message "I am your president, working with and for you!" Not to mention the message it sent, "I am not afraid. I am one with you." If he is not afraid, we should not be afraid. If he is trusting America, we should trust America. If he has faith in hope in our system, we should have faith and hope in our system. Regardless of my political views, this is the first time I have truly felt pride in our President - this is the fist time I have felt inspired by him to love and trust my country.

No comments: