Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Thoughts on Death

I know it's not what you expect my topic to be the day before Christmas Eve, but I have to share this.
So, I am a big fan of the TLC show Little People, Big World, and last nights show was a real shocker. Mike Detjen, the families super close friend and business partner suddenly died at the age of 60. Mike was as common on the show as the family and I really liked the guy.
Anyway, Matt made a really profound statement, "We don't appreciate the people we love often enough, because we expect them to be there tomorrow." It really got me thinking about the people in my life, the ones I just assume will be there tomorrow and so I can finsih the conversation, or say "Thank you" or "I love you" later.
Well, I went to bed thinking about all this - and of course, I couldn't sleep. It was late so I texted a few people I am close to, prayed and eventually fell asleep. But I woke up at 5am with vivid thoughts of my dad's funeral - it was so weird I almost called to make sure he was still alive! I even started to cry and sat up to get in touch with my thoughts, and there was my cat, lying in my lap staring at me like she always does when I am emotional. It was so weird!
This Christmas has already been so mystical for me - the greatest ever in my 32 years - and this bizarre expereince just adds to it: because I am accepting that people are gifts, just like the Christ-child, and we need to learn to value gifts in our lives.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

It may seem odd to think of death at this time but I too have been thinking about it a lot lately. I've been remembering Earl who died this time of year. Fr. Mark's mother passed away Friday and the funeral is today. I wasn't going to go to the funeral but now after reading your post I think I will. To celebrate a life of a woman I didn't know and to remember my own mortality and that of those I love.