Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Other Duties as Needed

Today I understood what it means on my job description - "other duties as needed." One of the youth was feeling really sick and while she was waiting for her mom to pick her up, she ended up vomiting in the bathroom sick at church - it of course, clogged the drain. She was horrified. So, even though it looked and smelled awful, I did what I had to do. I blocked the door to the bathroom, rolled up my sleeves, and reached down and unclogged the drain! All while the teen watched; amazed and horrified at the same time. I realized in my mind how horrific it was but I was calm, cool, and collected on the outside as I tried to make an uncomfortable situation less humilating for one of God's beloved.
It all made me think - wow, I wonder what it was like for Jesus to do what he did for our sake? Much worse than sifting through vomit, that's for sure.
It also made me ponder why a connection to Lent/Easter is popping up during Advent/Christmas. But then again, if Jesus didn't come as an infant in the first place - we never would have had him to be there in our moment/s of distress.
This preparation for the birth of my savior is sure taking on new avenues this year!

No comments: