Thursday, February 26, 2009

Pondering Solitude

I am doing a sermon series this Lent - based on John Indermark's book, Traveling the Prayer Paths of Jesus. My intent is to help us focus on our own spiritual discipline of prayer by journeying with Jesus to his death and resurrection. This first week is "Out of Solitude." I was not going to write out a sermon as I normally do, I was going to do it from the floor without notes as I sometimes do - but I decided to write it out today because many of our older members like to take a copy of the sermon with them to share with friends who live in their buildings, etc. So, I spent the day writing it out and its got me wanting to practice solitude this weekend! It will be good for me - so I am going to give it a whirl (not that I have never done it, I have, but in the face of a very busy life, I rarely have a whole weekend to dedicate). I may still go to a basketball game and possibily a movie I want to see.. but I hope to stay home and practice solitude for the most part. I will let you know how it turns out. As my sermon is pointing, solitude truly is a "practice!"

1 comment:

J said...

I live a lot of my life in solitude. Solitude, like all things in this life, is most helpful in moderation.