Sunday, November 23, 2008

Rantings

I am not in a very good mood tonight. It's a whole mix of things, really, but mostly, I need to be done with this hectic November and on to something more soothing and engaging: Advent!
So, I am assistant directing a community play. It opens the weekend after Thanksgiving. We have a cast of 16 kids and while it has its challenges, I am overall glad I am doing it. BUT, there are a lot of adults that "volunteer" to "help out." And some of them are really mean and actually very rude to the kids. It's hard for me because I am not one to put up with that sort of crap... in my line of work, in my life, kids are treated as equals and given respect just like everyone else. I am so stressed out about the way the kids are being treated.. this is supposed to be a fun expereince for them, and don't get me wrong, I am sure they are still having fun, they are resilient, but its horrible the way the are talked to and it makes me so angry. But being the assistant director, I don't feel its my place to say anything. If I was in charge it would be easier to say what is tolerated and what isn't, but I am the assistant and don't want to step on anyone's toes. So I go home angry and stressed out and then the next day I'm not focused on making it a good expereince for the kids and then we all lose. So maybe I just need to put my mouth where my heart is and speak up anyway? Or.. maybe it means I need to direct someday so I can set the tone? Oh great, I feel anoter hectic November coming on!

No comments: