Saturday, November 22, 2008

Fireproof

Something I don't do often is go to movies. I like to go.. but have never felt comfortable going alone and haven't always had somebody to go with. So today I finally did it! Went to see Fireproof. At first I thought it was going to be a cheesy-type Christian movie.. but it was REALLY good! I kept getting all choked up. Even though its about marriage and I'm not maried, I took a lot from it.
Every relationship we have - if its to mean anything at all - takes our attention and effort. I got hooked on the forgiveness theme in the movie. Caleb really messed up and when he tried to make amends for it, it was too late, Katherine had already lost respect for him. Then when he really commited himself to "earning" her forgiveness he said, "I pray to God that I will be forgiven, and I will do whatever it takes until you forgive me too." That was a powerful statement, because how often in our lives do we mess up? All we have to do is ask God for forgiveness and its there, but people aren't God. We actually have to earn peoples forgiveness and gain back their trust and respect. It's a process of awareness, acceptance, humility, and desire... to be in right relationships with people, married or not.
I thought it was cool that Caleb grew to have such faith that he could separate God from people.. he knew the differences but wanted to relate the similarities... our ability to make things right and our ability to love and trust again. God made us that way, so we could be like God, "in God's image."
It was a good movie, I recommend you go see it - and don't shrug it off, listen and apply it to your relaionships.

No comments: